PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Vancouver Opera Offstage is an audio podcast with host Les Dala, VO’s chorus director and associate conductor. Join Les every other Wednesday for this podcast as he chats with opera experts, artists, Vancouver Opera staff and others to explore the world of opera on and off the stage. This podcast offers an insider’s glimpse into the artistry, experiences, and perspectives of the talent involved in taking breathtaking opera productions from the page to the stage.
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes.
We want to hear from you!
Do you have feedback, ideas for future episodes, or suggestions for guests you’d like to see on the podcast? Contact us by email at email@example.com .
Check back here for the most current episode, posted below, and continue the discussion on social media with our hashtag #VOffstage.
July 29, 2020 | Episode 12
Imagining the future for opera with soprano and multidisciplinary performer
Teiya Kasahara & tenor Asitha Tennekoon, co-founders of Amplified Opera
In this episode, Les chats with Teiya Kasahara & Asitha Tennekoon, co-founders of Amplified Opera. Teiya 笠原貞野 (they/them) is a queer, gender non-binary, multi-disciplinary performer/creator, and first-generation Nikkei-Canadian settler of Japanese and German roots. Teiya comes from a background of over a decade of singing both traditional and contemporary operatic roles across North America and Europe. VO audiences last saw them as the Queen of the Night in our 2013 BC First Nations inspired production of The Magic Flute. Sri Lankan tenor Asitha Tennekoon was winner of the 2016/17 Dora Award for Best Male Performance in Opera for his depiction of Paul in Tapestry Opera’s Rocking Horse Winner and was last seen at Vancouver Opera in The Overcoat as The Manager. Asitha is also the creator of the blog Wandelprobe, in which he provides a platform for meaningful discourse on the state of opera.
Extra Features & Content:
- The latest episodes from Asitha’s favourite podcasts on Spotify
- Teiya’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- Les’ Pick of the Week: Teiya Kasahara’s 19 Videos for COVID–19 #19forCOVID19
- Les’ Pick of the Week: Asitha Tennekoon performs for seniors in Tapestry Opera’s #BoxConcerts (on YouTube Video)
- Les’ Pick of the Week: Asitha Tennekoon as Paul in a scene from Tapestry Opera’s Rocking Horse Winner (on Facebook Video)
Share this episode!
Past Episodes of Vancouver Opera Offstage
- Episode 1 | April 29, 2020 | An Interview with Tom Wright, General Director of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 2 | May 6, 2020 | Catching up with Jonathan Darlington, Music Director Emeritus of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 3 | May 13, 2020 | A Chat with Canadian Stage Director Rachel Peake on her process and vision as a director from theatre to opera
- Episode 4 | May 20, 2020 | Sharing stories from legendary Canadian mezzo-soprano Judith Forst
- Episode 5 | May 27, 2020 | Perspectives on performance with Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch
- Episode 6 | June 3, 2020 | In the Spotlight with Vancouver-born lyric soprano Simone Osborne
- Episode 7 | June 10, 2020 |Breaking barriers in the digital world with Victoria’s own Rachel Fenlon
- Episode 8 | June 17, 2020 | From Countertenor to Executive Director: Matthew White of Early Music Vancouver
- Episode 9 | June 24, 2020 |Coaches in Conversation: Demystifying the role of the répétiteur with Kinza Tyrrell and Tina Chang
- Episode 10 | July 1, 2020 |Canadian Visions with Tapestry Opera’s Michael Hidetoshi Mori and mezzo-soprano Marion Newman of Amplified Opera
- Episode 11 | July 15, 2020 |Shaping tomorrow’s voices with UBC Opera’s legendary Nancy Hermiston