PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Perspectives on performance with Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch
May 27, 2020
In this episode, Les speaks with Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch, who most recently starred as Joseph De Rocher in Vancouver Opera’s 2017 production of Jake Heggie’s Dead Man Walking. Daniel has been involved in the creation of several world premiere operas, including Brokeback Mountain, The Fly, JFK, and Marnie, among others. In addition to his accomplished career in opera, Daniel has also appeared on Broadway in the role of Schaunard in Baz Luhrmann’s 2002 Broadway musical adaption of La bohème. Dan shares fascinating and humorous stories of performing around the globe as well as his perspectives on performance in a socially-distanced digital landscape.
Extra Features & Content:
- Dan’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- A clip of Daniel Okulitch and Tom Randle in Charles Wuorinen’s Brokeback Mountain (2014)
- A clip of Daniel Okulitch in LA Opera’s production of Howard Shore’s The Fly (2008)
- A review of 2017’s Dead Man Walking by The Georgia Straight‘s Janet Smith
- A review of 2017’s Dead Man Walking by The Vancouver Sun‘s David Gordon Duke
- An interview with The Vancouver Sun‘s David Gordon Duke on “making the best of coronavirus isolation”
- Les’s YouTube Pick of the Week: The Jaelem Bhate Jazz Orchestra plays Bizet’s Carmen
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes.
Share this episode!
Vancouver Opera Offstage Host:
Vancouver Opera Offstage Production and Editing:
Vancouver Opera Offstage logo design:
Episode Recorded: May 5, 2020
Episode interviews are recorded entirely remotely using Zoom and hosted on Buzzsprout.