PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Imagining the future for opera with soprano and multidisciplinary performer
Teiya Kasahara & tenor Asitha Tennekoon, co-founders of Amplified Opera
July 29, 2020
In this episode, Les chats with Teiya Kasahara & Asitha Tennekoon, co-founders of Amplified Opera. Teiya 笠原貞野 (they/them) is a queer, gender non-binary, multi-disciplinary performer/creator, and first-generation Nikkei-Canadian settler of Japanese and German roots. Teiya comes from a background of over a decade of singing both traditional and contemporary operatic roles across North America and Europe. VO audiences last saw them as the Queen of the Night in our 2013 BC First Nations inspired production of The Magic Flute. Sri Lankan tenor Asitha Tennekoon was winner of the 2016/17 Dora Award for Best Male Performance in Opera for his depiction of Paul in Tapestry Opera’s Rocking Horse Winner and was last seen at Vancouver Opera in The Overcoat as The Manager. Asitha is also the creator of the blog Wandelprobe, in which he provides a platform for meaningful discourse on the state of opera.
Extra Features & Content:
- The latest episodes from Asitha’s favourite podcasts on Spotify
- Teiya’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- Les’ Pick of the Week: Teiya Kasahara’s 19 Videos for COVID–19 #19forCOVID19
- Les’ Pick of the Week: Asitha Tennekoon performs for seniors in Tapestry Opera’s #BoxConcerts (on YouTube Video)
- Les’ Pick of the Week: Asitha Tennekoon as Paul in a scene from Tapestry Opera’s Rocking Horse Winner (on Facebook Video)
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes.