PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Vancouver Opera Offstage is an audio podcast with host Les Dala, VO’s chorus director and associate conductor. Join Les once a month for this podcast as he chats with opera experts, artists, Vancouver Opera staff and others to explore the world of opera on and off the stage. This podcast offers an insider’s glimpse into the artistry, experiences, and perspectives of the talent involved in taking breathtaking opera productions from the page to the stage.
Latest Episode: May 5, 2021.
The next episode will release Wednesday, June 2, 2021.
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes. For those listening from the US, we’re also available now on Pandora!
We want to hear from you!
Do you have feedback, ideas for future episodes, or suggestions for guests you’d like to see on the podcast? Contact us by email at email@example.com.
- May 5 | Mike Southworth of VO’s 2020–2021 Digital Season
- April 7 | Brenna Corner of Carmen: Up Close and Personal
May 5, 2021, | Episode 27
Behind the Camera Lens on the Digital Season with Mike Southworth
In this episode, recorded on April 14, Les takes us on a glimpse behind the camera lens to get a perspective of what it takes to bring opera from the stage to the screen. Our guest is Mike Southworth, president of Collide Entertainment, who is responsible for the camerawork, videography, and video editing behind Vancouver Opera’s 2020-2021 Digital Season productions: Carmen: Up Close and Personal, The Music Shop, Amahl and the Night Visitors, and La Voix humaine as well as Wagner for Valentine’s. In addition to his work on VO’s season, he is also highly in demand for his talents as an editor, sound designer, composer, sound recordist, camera operator, and director.
Don’t forget to buy your digital tickets to Vancouver Opera’s Digital Season at digital.vancouveropera.ca !
Les’ Pick of the Month:
April 7, 2021, | Episode 26
Up Close and Personal about Carmen: Preview Podcast with stage director Brenna Corner
In our official Preview Podcast for Vancouver Opera’s new production of Carmen: Up Close and Personal and the 26th episode of Vancouver Opera Offstage, meet Brenna Corner, director and mastermind behind this brand-new digital opera. Brenna has worked as a director, actor, singer, choreographer, and fight director across Canada, the United States, and Europe. An alumnus of Vancouver Opera’s Yulanda M. Faris Young Artist Program, she most recently directed VO productions of Hansel and Gretel and L’Elisir d’amore. Tickets and subscriptions are now available for Carmen: Up Close and Personal, premiering May 1st at digital.vancouveropera.ca.
Les’ Pick of the Month:
Share this episode!
Past Episodes of Vancouver Opera Offstage
- Episode 1 | April 29, 2020 | An Interview with Tom Wright, General Director of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 2 | May 6, 2020 | Catching up with Jonathan Darlington, Music Director Emeritus of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 3 | May 13, 2020 | A Chat with Canadian Stage Director Rachel Peake on her process and vision as a director from theatre to opera
- Episode 4 | May 20, 2020 | Sharing stories from legendary Canadian mezzo-soprano Judith Forst
- Episode 5 | May 27, 2020 | Perspectives on performance with Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch
- Episode 6 | June 3, 2020 | In the Spotlight with Vancouver-born lyric soprano Simone Osborne
- Episode 7 | June 10, 2020 | Breaking barriers in the digital world with Victoria’s own Rachel Fenlon
- Episode 8 | June 17, 2020 | From Countertenor to Executive Director: Matthew White of Early Music Vancouver
- Episode 9 | June 24, 2020 | Coaches in Conversation: Demystifying the role of the répétiteur with Kinza Tyrrell and Tina Chang
- Episode 10 | July 1, 2020 | Canadian Visions with Tapestry Opera’s Michael Hidetoshi Mori and mezzo-soprano Marion Newman of Amplified Opera
- Episode 11 | July 15, 2020 | Shaping tomorrow’s voices with UBC Opera’s legendary Nancy Hermiston
- Episode 12 | July 29, 2020 | Imagining the future for opera with Teiya Kasahara & Asitha Tennekoon, co-founders of Amplified Opera
- Episode 13 | August 12, 2020 | Keeping pace with internationally respected conductor and former VO Music Director David Agler
- Episode 14 | August 26, 2020 | Sharing the love of performance with Hungarian-Canadian mezzo-soprano Krisztina Szabó
- Episode 15 | September 9, 2020 |Transforming adversity to creative inspiration with The Kettle Society and the Can You Hear Me? Project’s Lesley Sutherland, Jerry LaFaery, and Coreen Douglas
- Episode 16 |September 23, 2020 | Introductions from Vancouver Opera’s 2020–2021 Yulanda M. Faris Young Artists
- Episode 17 | October 7, 2020 | Singing with the Greats with Tenor and UBC Voice and Opera Professor J. Patrick Raftery
- Episode 18 | October 21, 2020 | An inspirational journey with mezzo-soprano and star of La Voix humaine, Mirelle Lebel
- Episode 19 | November 4, 2020 | Highlights of two decades with former VO General Director Jim Wright
- Episode 20 | November 18, 2020 | Adventures in Stage Management: Behind the Scenes with Theresa Tsang & Marijka Asbeek Brusse
- Episode 21 | December 2, 2020 | Special Guests from Vancouver Opera’s Amahl and the Night Visitors
- Episode 22 | December 16, 2020 | A Holiday Treat for our Listeners!
- Episode 23 | January 13, 2021 | A Storied Career with Canadian baritone Brett Polegato
- Episode 24 | February 3, 2021 | Bringing it home with Royal Swedish Opera Artistic Director and prolific Canadian Stage Director Michael Cavanagh
- Episode 25 | March 3, 2021 | The Music Shop Pre-Show Podcast with Composer & Librettist Richard Wargo
- Episode 26 | April 7, 2021 | Carmen: Up Close and Personal Preview Podcast with Director Brenna Corner
- Episode 27 | May 5, 2021 | Behind the Camera Lens on the Digital Season with Mike Southworth
About the host, Les Dala
Vancouver Opera Offstage Host & Co-Producer:
Vancouver Opera Co-Producer & Editor:
Vancouver Opera Offstage logo design:
Season 01 | Episode 27
Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Season 01 | Episode 26
Thursday, March 11, 2021
Episode interviews are recorded entirely remotely using Zoom and hosted on Buzzsprout.