PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Vancouver Opera Offstage is an audio podcast with host Les Dala, VO’s chorus director and associate conductor. Join Les every other Wednesday for this podcast as he chats with opera experts, artists, Vancouver Opera staff and others to explore the world of opera on and off the stage. This podcast offers an insider’s glimpse into the artistry, experiences, and perspectives of the talent involved in taking breathtaking opera productions from the page to the stage.
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes.
We want to hear from you!
Do you have feedback, ideas for future episodes, or suggestions for guests you’d like to see on the podcast? Contact us by email at email@example.com .
Check back here for the most current episode, posted below, and continue the discussion on social media with our hashtag #VOffstage.
July 1, 2020 | Episode 10
with Tapestry Opera’s Michael Hidetoshi Mori
and First Nations mezzo-soprano Marion Newman of Amplified Opera
In this very special July 1st episode, Les is joined by co-host Colleen Maybin, Vancouver Opera’s Director of Learning and Engagement. With international focus turning a critical eye on systemic racial injustice, this Canada Day will be a day of reflection for many. Guests Michael Hidetoshi Mori and Marion Newman join us for a discussion about cultural representation in opera and the directions that the art form can take to better reflect the experiences of Canada’s cultural mosaic. Michael is the general director of Tapestry Opera, which in May of 2019 produced the world-premiere of Shanawdithit, a landmark Canadian-Indigenous opera by Dean Burry and Yvette Nolan. Starring in the title role of Shanawdithit, was Marion Newman, who is a Canadian mezzo-soprano of Kwagiulth and Stó:lo First Nations, English, Irish, and Scottish roots, and a co-founder of Amplified Opera. Marion also sang in Vancouver Opera’s 2013 First Nations inspired production of The Magic Flute, as well as Pacific Opera Victoria and City Opera Vancouver’s 2017 and 2019 collaboration of Missing.
Extra Features & Content:
- Marion’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- Michael’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- Colleen & Les’s Spotify Pick of the Week: Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa by Jeremy Dutcher (2018)
- 2020 Dora Mavor More Award Winners Announcement – Tapestry Opera for Shanawdithit (2019)
- Highlights from Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
- Interviews with the creators and cast from Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
- CBC Arts Interview with librettist Yvette Nolan of Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
- Trailer of Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
Missing (2017 & 2019)
- Highlights from Pacific Opera Victoria & City Opera Vancouver’s Missing (2017) on Youtube
- Scenes from Pacific Opera Victoria & City Opera Vancouver’s Missing (2019) on Youtube
The Magic Flute (2013)
Share this episode!
Past Episodes of Vancouver Opera Offstage
- Episode 1 | April 29, 2020 | An Interview with Tom Wright, General Director of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 2 | May 6, 2020 | Catching up with Jonathan Darlington, Music Director Emeritus of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 3 | May 13, 2020 | A Chat with Canadian Stage Director Rachel Peake on her process and vision as a director from theatre to opera
- Episode 4 | May 20, 2020 | Sharing stories from legendary Canadian mezzo-soprano Judith Forst
- Episode 5 | May 27, 2020 | Perspectives on performance with Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch
- Episode 6 | June 3, 2020 | In the Spotlight with Vancouver-born lyric soprano Simone Osborne
- Episode 7 | June 10, 2020 |Breaking barriers in the digital world with Victoria’s own Rachel Fenlon
- Episode 8 | June 17, 2020 | From Countertenor to Executive Director: Matthew White of Early Music Vancouver
- Episode 9 | June 24, 2020 |Coaches in Conversation: Demystifying the role of the répétiteur with Kinza Tyrrell and Tina Chang