PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Vancouver Opera Offstage is an audio podcast with host Les Dala, VO’s chorus director and associate conductor. Join Les once a month for this podcast as he chats with opera experts, artists, Vancouver Opera staff and others to explore the world of opera on and off the stage. This podcast offers an insider’s glimpse into the artistry, experiences, and perspectives of the talent involved in taking breathtaking opera productions from the page to the stage.
Latest Episode: June 2, 2021.
The next episode will release Wednesday, July 7, 2021.
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes. For those listening from the US, we’re also available now on Pandora!
We want to hear from you!
Do you have feedback, ideas for future episodes, or suggestions for guests you’d like to see on the podcast? Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 2, 2021 | Episode 28
Musical Excellence with Early Music Vancouver’s Suzie LeBlanc, C.M.
In this episode, meet the brand-new Artistic and Executive Director of Early Music Vancouver. Suzie LeBlanc, C.M., is a prolific Canadian soprano and recipient of the Order of Canada in 2015, with four honourary doctorates for her work. A performer and scholar in Baroque repertoire, she is also accomplished in classical and modern repertoire and improvisation. Her 2011 album, I am in need of music, won an ECMA for Best Classical Recording, and her original work has lent voice to her Acadian heritage.
Extra Features & Content:
- Suzie LeBlanc’s I am in need of music (learn more about the album)
- Watch some of Suzie LeBlanc’s past and current projects
- Early Music Vancouver’s Digital Concert Hall
Les’s Pick of the Month: Recordings by Suzie LeBlanc
Share this episode!
Past Episodes of Vancouver Opera Offstage
- Episode 1 | April 29, 2020 | An Interview with Tom Wright, General Director of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 2 | May 6, 2020 | Catching up with Jonathan Darlington, Music Director Emeritus of Vancouver Opera
- Episode 3 | May 13, 2020 | A Chat with Canadian Stage Director Rachel Peake on her process and vision as a director from theatre to opera
- Episode 4 | May 20, 2020 | Sharing stories from legendary Canadian mezzo-soprano Judith Forst
- Episode 5 | May 27, 2020 | Perspectives on performance with Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch
- Episode 6 | June 3, 2020 | In the Spotlight with Vancouver-born lyric soprano Simone Osborne
- Episode 7 | June 10, 2020 | Breaking barriers in the digital world with Victoria’s own Rachel Fenlon
- Episode 8 | June 17, 2020 | From Countertenor to Executive Director: Matthew White of Early Music Vancouver
- Episode 9 | June 24, 2020 | Coaches in Conversation: Demystifying the role of the répétiteur with Kinza Tyrrell and Tina Chang
- Episode 10 | July 1, 2020 | Canadian Visions with Tapestry Opera’s Michael Hidetoshi Mori and mezzo-soprano Marion Newman of Amplified Opera
- Episode 11 | July 15, 2020 | Shaping tomorrow’s voices with UBC Opera’s legendary Nancy Hermiston
- Episode 12 | July 29, 2020 | Imagining the future for opera with Teiya Kasahara & Asitha Tennekoon, co-founders of Amplified Opera
- Episode 13 | August 12, 2020 | Keeping pace with internationally respected conductor and former VO Music Director David Agler
- Episode 14 | August 26, 2020 | Sharing the love of performance with Hungarian-Canadian mezzo-soprano Krisztina Szabó
- Episode 15 | September 9, 2020 |Transforming adversity to creative inspiration with The Kettle Society and the Can You Hear Me? Project’s Lesley Sutherland, Jerry LaFaery, and Coreen Douglas
- Episode 16 |September 23, 2020 | Introductions from Vancouver Opera’s 2020–2021 Yulanda M. Faris Young Artists
- Episode 17 | October 7, 2020 | Singing with the Greats with Tenor and UBC Voice and Opera Professor J. Patrick Raftery
- Episode 18 | October 21, 2020 | An inspirational journey with mezzo-soprano and star of La Voix humaine, Mirelle Lebel
- Episode 19 | November 4, 2020 | Highlights of two decades with former VO General Director Jim Wright
- Episode 20 | November 18, 2020 | Adventures in Stage Management: Behind the Scenes with Theresa Tsang & Marijka Asbeek Brusse
- Episode 21 | December 2, 2020 | Special Guests from Vancouver Opera’s Amahl and the Night Visitors
- Episode 22 | December 16, 2020 | A Holiday Treat for our Listeners!
- Episode 23 | January 13, 2021 | A Storied Career with Canadian baritone Brett Polegato
- Episode 24 | February 3, 2021 | Bringing it home with Royal Swedish Opera Artistic Director and prolific Canadian Stage Director Michael Cavanagh
- Episode 25 | March 3, 2021 | The Music Shop Pre-Show Podcast with Composer & Librettist Richard Wargo
- Episode 26 | April 7, 2021 | Carmen: Up Close and Personal Preview Podcast with Director Brenna Corner
- Episode 27 | May 5, 2021 | Behind the Camera Lens on the Digital Season with Mike Southworth
- Episode 28 | June 2, 2021 | Musical Excellence with Early Music Vancouver’s Suzie LeBlanc, C.M.
About the host, Les Dala
Vancouver Opera Offstage Host & Co-Producer:
Vancouver Opera Co-Producer & Editor:
Vancouver Opera Offstage logo design:
Season 01 | Episode 28
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
Episode interviews are recorded entirely remotely using Zoom and hosted on Buzzsprout.