PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Canadian Visions with Tapestry Opera’s Michael Hidetoshi Mori
and mezzo-soprano Marion Newman of Amplified Opera
Podcast Home | <<Previous Episode | Episode 10 | Next Episode >>
July 1, 2020
In this very special July 1st episode, Les is joined by co-host Colleen Maybin, Vancouver Opera’s Director of Learning and Engagement. With international focus turning a critical eye on systemic racial injustice, this Canada Day will be a day of reflection for many. Guests Michael Hidetoshi Mori and Marion Newman join us for a discussion about cultural representation in opera and the directions that the art form can take to better reflect the experiences of Canada’s cultural mosaic. Michael is the general director of Tapestry Opera, which in May of 2019 produced the world-premiere of Shanawdithit, a landmark Canadian-Indigenous opera by Dean Burry and Yvette Nolan. Starring in the title role of Shanawdithit, was Marion Newman, who is a Canadian mezzo-soprano of Kwagiulth and Stó:lo First Nations, English, Irish, and Scottish roots, and a co-founder of Amplified Opera. Marion also sang in Vancouver Opera’s 2013 First Nations inspired production of The Magic Flute, as well as Pacific Opera Victoria and City Opera Vancouver’s 2017 and 2019 collaboration of Missing.
Extra Features & Content:
- Marion’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- Michael’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- Colleen & Les’s Spotify Pick of the Week: Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa by Jeremy Dutcher (2018)
- 2020 Dora Mavor More Award Winners Announcement – Tapestry Opera for Shanawdithit (2019)
- Highlights from Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
- Interviews with the creators and cast from Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
- CBC Arts Interview with librettist Yvette Nolan of Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
- Trailer of Shanawdithit (2019) on Youtube
Missing (2017 & 2019)
- Highlights from Pacific Opera Victoria & City Opera Vancouver’s Missing (2017) on Youtube
- Scenes from Pacific Opera Victoria & City Opera Vancouver’s Missing (2019) on Youtube
The Magic Flute (2013)
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on Anchor.fm, VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes. For those listening from the US, we’re also available now on Pandora!
Share this episode!
Vancouver Opera Offstage Host:
Vancouver Opera Offstage Production and Editing:
Vancouver Opera Offstage logo design:
Episode Recorded: June 25, 2020
Episode interviews are recorded entirely remotely using Zoom and hosted on Anchor.fm.
(Originally on Buzzsprout).
Cover photo by Matt Botsford on Unsplash
Podcast opening and closing music:
“Habanera” from Carmen. Sung by Jenny Lee Mitchell.
Habanera Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons:
By Attribution 3.0 License