PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
A Holiday Treat for our Listeners!
December 16, 2020
In this special seasonal episode, our last podcast of 2020, Vancouver Opera Offstage has a holiday treat for our listeners: Les shares over 40 minutes of music recorded specifically for this podcast! Inspired by Menotti retracing his childhood memories of Christmas in Amahl and the Night Visitors, Les performs some solo piano music by Hungarian composers Franz Liszt, Béla Bartók, and Ernő Dohnányi, inspired by Christmas carols. Les also explores some of the history behind each composer and their work, with a guest appearance by Vancouver Opera Offstage co-producer and editor Vincent Wong, Senior Marketing and Sales Manager at Vancouver Opera.
- Selection 1 (09:18): Franz Liszt, “In dulci jubilo: Die Hirten an der Krippe” (In dulci jubilo: The Shepherds at the Manger)
- Selection 2 (12:26): Franz Liszt, “Adeste fideles: Gleichsam als Marsch der heiligen drei Könige” (Adeste Fideles: March of the Three Holy Kings)
- Selection 3 (16:17): Franz Liszt, “Glockenspiel” (Carillon)
- Selection 4 (18:48): Franz Liszt, “Schlummerlied” (Slumber Song)
- Selection 5 (22:27): Franz Liszt, “Altes provençalisches Weihnachtslied” (Old Provençal Christmas Song)
- Selection 6 (24:12): Franz Liszt, “Abendglocken” (Evening Bells)
- Selection 7 (28:46): Franz Liszt, “Ehemals” (variously trans. as In Days Gone By, Old Times, Long Ago, Formerly)
- Selection 8 (38:44): Béla Bartók, “Romanian Christmas Carols”
- Selection 9 (55:39): Ernő Dohnányi, “Pastorale” (based on the carol “The Angel came down from heaven”)
Music recorded at Monarch Studios on December 5, 2020.
Recording Engineer: Alex Penney
How to jump to the individual Music Selections in this episode:
Hover your mouse over the player and click on the icon with the three horizontal lines or bullet points. This will allow you to click on individual “chapter” markers for the music tracks!
Want more holiday tunes from Vancouver Opera musicians for your listening enjoyment? Until January 6, 2021, enjoy A Touch of Brass Quintet’s Christmas CD, December, courtesy of Vancouver Opera! Subscribe to Vancouver Opera Offstage on your favourite streaming services now to listen, or jump to the album here.
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes. For those listening from the US, we’re also available now on Pandora!
Share this episode!
Vancouver Opera Offstage Host & Co-Producer:
Vancouver Opera Co-Producer & Editor:
Vancouver Opera Offstage logo design:
Music Recording Engineer:
Music Recorded at Monarch Studios:
December 5, 2020
December 14, 2020
Episode interviews are recorded entirely remotely using Zoom and hosted on Buzzsprout.