PODCAST | Vancouver Opera Offstage
Sharing stories from legendary Canadian mezzo-soprano Judith Forst
May 20, 2020
In this episode Les takes a stroll down memory lane with legendary Canadian mezzo-soprano Judith Forst. Judi has an association with Vancouver Opera dating back to the 1960s, when she was a member of the first training program for young singers. Since that time she has had a prestigious international career with appearances at some of the most important opera houses of the world, including the Metropolitan Opera, La Scala, and San Francisco Opera. Judi most recently appeared as Mrs. DeRocher in 2017’s Dead Man Walking. We are treated to Judi’s stories of performing with Opera greats such as Joan Sutherland, hear about her beginnings in British Columbia, and discover Judi’s love for new composition.
Extra Features & Content:
- Judi’s Spotify Playlist Picks
- A clip of Judith Forst & Joan Sutherland – Sul suo capo from Gaetano Donizetti’s Anna Bolena – Gaetano Donizetti (1984)
- A clip of Judith Forst singing Musetta”s Waltz “Quando men vo soletta” from Giacomo Puccini’s La Boheme (1979)
- A recording of Judi singing Jean Coulthard’s “Six Irish Poems for Maureen” from 1976
- A profile of Judi by Schmopera.com
- Les’s Spotify Pick of the Week
Add us on these popular services! Weekly episodes can be found on VancouverOpera.Buzzsprout.com, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Deezer, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, and Listen Notes. For those listening from the US, we’re also available now on Pandora!
Share this episode!
Photo by Barry Glass
Vancouver Opera Offstage Host:
Vancouver Opera Offstage Production and Editing:
Vancouver Opera Offstage logo design:
Episode Recorded: April 28, 2020
Episode interviews are recorded entirely remotely using Zoom and hosted on Buzzsprout.